Author: Paul Tardner Date published: 30/08/2020
Originally published at: IJEST Pull test PDF: View PDF
Citicoline, often called CDP-Choline, Cognizin® (in its branded form), cytidine diphosphate-choline or cytidine 5′-diphosphocholine is a widely-consumed nootropic supplement. It is primarily used to enhance executive cognitive functions such as focus, information processing, and learning. Lately, it has been suggested that citicoline is effective for the treatment of mild cognitive impairment, and that it may have neuroprotective effects. In this article we will examine the most robust and relevant literature relating to citicoline as a potential treatment for cognitive decline, particularly as it relates to older people.
Keywords: Citicoline, CDP-Choline, nootropics, cognition, cognitive decline, memory, focus
- McGlade, A. Locatelli, J. Hardy, T. Kamiya, M. Morita, K. Morishita, Y. Sugimura and D. Yurgelun-Todd, “Improved Attentional Performance Following Citicoline Administration in Healthy Adult Women,” Food and Nutrition Sciences, Vol. 3 No. 6, 2012, pp. 769-773.
- Alvarez-Sabín J, Ortega G, Jacas C, et al. Long-term treatment with citicoline may improve poststroke vascular cognitive impairment.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013;35(2):146-154. doi:10.1159/000346602
- Trimmel, H., Majdan, M., Wodak, A.et al. Citicoline in severe traumatic brain injury: indications for improved outcome. Wien Klin Wochenschr 130, 37–44 (2018).
- Zafonte RD, Bagiella E, Ansel BM, et al. Effect of citicoline on functional and cognitive status among patients with traumatic brain injury: Citicoline Brain Injury Treatment Trial (COBRIT).JAMA. 2012;308(19):1993-2000.
- Franco-Maside A, Caamaño J, Gómez MJ, Cacabelos R. Brain mapping activity and mental performance after chronic treatment with CDP-choline in Alzheimer’s disease.Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 1994;16(8):597-607.
- Fioravanti M, Buckley AE. Citicoline (Cognizin) in the treatment of cognitive impairment. Clin Interv Aging. 2006;1(3):247-251.
- Abad-Santos F, Novalbos-Reina J, Gallego-Sandín S, García AG. Tratamiento del deterioro cognitivo leve: utilidad de la citicolina [Treatment of mild cognitive impairment: value of citicoline].Rev Neurol. 2002;35(7):675-682.