Author: Paul Tardner Date published: 09/09/2020
Originally published at: IJEST Pull test PDF: View PDF
Fasoracetam is a nootropic compound of the racetam class. It is a derivative of Piracetam, the first synthetically created nootropic. It has been suggested that Fasoracetam is a potentially effective nootropic for the treatment of ADHD, as well as related learning difficulties and cognitive disorders. However, there are few meta-analyses examining this potential use of Fasoracetam; much of the “evidence” relies on inference from studies looking at Piracetam. Furthermore, as a relatively new racetam, there is very little available evidence on the long-term risks associated with Fasoracetam use. This article looks at the available clinical data on Fasoracetam to ascertain its safety and efficacy as a treatment for ADHD. Ultimately, Fasoracetam is unlikely to help 90% of ADHD sufferers, and its efficacy as a nootropic remains unproven.
Keywords: Fasoracetam, Piracetam, racetams, nootropics, ADHD
- Connolly JJ, Glessner JT, Elia J, Hakonarson H. ADHD & Pharmacotherapy: Past, Present and Future: A Review of the Changing Landscape of Drug Therapy for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Ther Innov Regul Sci. 2015;49(5):632-642. doi:10.1177/2168479015599811
- Ogasawara T, Itoh Y, Tamura M, Mushiroi T, Ukai Y, Kise M, Kimura K. Involvement of cholinergic and GABAergic systems in the reversal of memory disruption by NS-105, a cognition enhancer. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1999 Sep;64(1):41-52. doi: 10.1016/s0091-3057(99)00108-2. PMID: 10494996.
- Adriani W, Leo D, Guarino M, Natoli A, Di Consiglio E, De Angelis G, Traina E, Testai E, Perrone-Capano C, Laviola G. Short-term effects of adolescent methylphenidate exposure on brain striatal gene expression and sexual/endocrine parameters in male rats. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006 Aug;1074:52-73. doi: 10.1196/annals.1369.005. PMID: 17105903.
- Elia J, Ungal G, Kao C, et al. Fasoracetam in adolescents with ADHD and glutamatergic gene network variants disrupting mGluR neurotransmitter signaling. Nat Commun. 2018;9(1):4. Published 2018 Jan 16. doi:10.1038/s41467-017-02244-2
- Haam J, Yakel JL. Cholinergic modulation of the hippocampal region and memory function. J Neurochem. 2017;142 Suppl 2(Suppl 2):111-121. doi:10.1111/jnc.14052
- Grothe M, Heinsen H, Teipel SJ. Atrophy of the cholinergic Basal forebrain over the adult age range and in early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Biol Psychiatry. 2012 May 1;71(9):805-13. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2011.06.019. Epub 2011 Aug 4. PMID: 21816388; PMCID: PMC3701122.
- Shimidzu T, Itoh Y, Oka M, Ishima T, Ukai Y, Yoshikuni Y, Kimura K. Effect of a novel cognition enhancer NS-105 on learned helplessness in rats: possible involvement of GABA(B) receptor up-regulation after repeated treatment. Eur J Pharmacol. 1997 Nov 12;338(3):225-32. doi: 10.1016/s0014-2999(97)81925-5. PMID: 9424016.