Author: Paul Tardner Date published: 09/09/2020
Originally published at: IJEST Pull test PDF: View PDF
Fasoracetam is a nootropic compound of the racetam class. It is a derivative of Piracetam, the first synthetically created nootropic. It has been suggested that Fasoracetam is potentially effective for the treatment of ADHD, as well as related learning difficulties and cognitive disorders. However, there are few meta-analyses examining this potential use of Fasoracetam; much of the “evidence” relies on inference from studies looking at Piracetam. Furthermore, as a relatively new racetam, there is very little available evidence on the long-term risks associated with Fasoracetam use. This article looks at the available clinical data on Fasoracetam to ascertain its safety and efficacy as a treatment for ADHD. Ultimately, Fasoracetam is unlikely to help 90% of ADHD sufferers, and its efficacy as a nootropic remains unproven.
Keywords: Fasoracetam, Piracetam, racetams, nootropics, ADHD
- Connolly JJ, Glessner JT, Elia J, Hakonarson H. ADHD & Pharmacotherapy: Past, Present and Future: A Review of the Changing Landscape of Drug Therapy for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Ther Innov Regul Sci. 2015;49(5):632-642. doi:10.1177/2168479015599811
- Ogasawara T, Itoh Y, Tamura M, Mushiroi T, Ukai Y, Kise M, Kimura K. Involvement of cholinergic and GABAergic systems in the reversal of memory disruption by NS-105, a cognition enhancer. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1999 Sep;64(1):41-52. doi: 10.1016/s0091-3057(99)00108-2. PMID: 10494996.
- Adriani W, Leo D, Guarino M, Natoli A, Di Consiglio E, De Angelis G, Traina E, Testai E, Perrone-Capano C, Laviola G. Short-term effects of adolescent methylphenidate exposure on brain striatal gene expression and sexual/endocrine parameters in male rats. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006 Aug;1074:52-73. doi: 10.1196/annals.1369.005. PMID: 17105903.
- Elia J, Ungal G, Kao C, et al. Fasoracetam in adolescents with ADHD and glutamatergic gene network variants disrupting mGluR neurotransmitter signaling. Nat Commun. 2018;9(1):4. Published 2018 Jan 16. doi:10.1038/s41467-017-02244-2
- Haam J, Yakel JL. Cholinergic modulation of the hippocampal region and memory function. J Neurochem. 2017;142 Suppl 2(Suppl 2):111-121. doi:10.1111/jnc.14052
- Grothe M, Heinsen H, Teipel SJ. Atrophy of the cholinergic Basal forebrain over the adult age range and in early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Biol Psychiatry. 2012 May 1;71(9):805-13. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2011.06.019. Epub 2011 Aug 4. PMID: 21816388; PMCID: PMC3701122.
- Shimidzu T, Itoh Y, Oka M, Ishima T, Ukai Y, Yoshikuni Y, Kimura K. Effect of a novel cognition enhancer NS-105 on learned helplessness in rats: possible involvement of GABA(B) receptor up-regulation after repeated treatment. Eur J Pharmacol. 1997 Nov 12;338(3):225-32. doi: 10.1016/s0014-2999(97)81925-5. PMID: 9424016.